Trail Mix is now accepting applications for the 2013 Field Season.
Trail Mix hires seasonal field crews to work from mid May until the snow flies. Additional staff may be hired throughout the summer.
A typical work week is four consecutive 10-hour days with three days off. Work crew leaders are experienced trail workers who are familiar with tools, equipment, safety precautions, trail-maintenance and trail-building techniques and who demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities. Trail Mix provides tools, equipment, hard hats, and safety training but not other outdoor gear for crew members.
Field crew staff are responsible for providing their own housing and transportation to/from the work site.
Trail Crew Position Description and Responsibilities
Job: Trail crews will work in or near Juneau, Alaska. The crews are expected to perform hard physical labor while building and maintaining trails. Trail projects vary from brushing and minor drainage work in the back country to ditch digging and graveling projects in front country. Employees are expected to work in all weather conditions and are expected to provide their own boots, raingear, gloves and other clothing.
Trail Crew Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Ability to work with a crew to efficiently complete projects
- Ability and willingness to learn a variety of trail building techniques
- Willingness to perform hard physical work in all weather conditions
- Working with volunteers
- Digging and cleaning out drainage ditches
- Using a Pulaski for trail grubbing
- Using log totes to haul timber
- Hauling and spreading gravel with a wheelbarrow or power carrier
- Using a chainsaw to cut and trim trees
- Using a power brusher to clear brush
- Operation of a skid-steer loader
- Operation of a mini dump truck
- Operation of a Pionjar (gas powered jack-hammer)
Time: Monday-Thursday from 7:00 to 5:00 with a half-hour lunch. Work times may change to include weekends or longer days. Crew members are generally not asked to work overtime but when overtime is authorized it will be paid at time and a half. If an employee is sick they must call in before 7:00 a.m. and will not be paid for that day of work. Work starts and ends at the trailhead. Workers are responsible for getting their own transportation to and from the trailheads.
Pay: Pay varies from $10.50/hr to $12.50/hr based on experience and position
Must be 18 years old or older to apply.
Application available for download here. Mail,email, or fax accepted.